Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Charlotte Young Est Charlotte Ndaw

J'aime my host family!!!!

I have finally moved into my homestay with Pape Ndaw who works at the school and his family and I love them. It's very different from the Kanes.

Pape Ndaw lives in Mamel which is about a 10 minute drive from Almadies where the Kanes live. The house is large; 2 stories about 5 bedrooms, 3 common spaces, a dining room, kitchen...it's large. Plus there's space up on the roof which will be absolutely BEAUTFIUL once they fix it up. They recently moved there so there is still work to do on the house.

The family dynamic is COMPLETELY different. First there's Pape Ndaw, his wife and 4 children, 4 men who are the brothers of either Pape Ndaw or his wife and 2 women who are nieces. That's 12 people, 13 if you include me, all in one house...beaucoup de famille. And they all speak Wolof excluding Pape Ndaw, one of the brothers and the English that the children know.

As much as I would love to say that language barriers don't matter and that together we cobbled together a language filled with laughter that was understood by all, that didn't exactly happen. I proudly spurted out three of the five wolof phrases I knew, and looked confused upon the next question. It occured to me then that I only know introductory phrases. There's been a lot of me just standing around silently and looking confused or in a daydream.

The first night I walked around Mamel with the 2 nieces and one of the brothers. I enjoy walking around Mamel and seeing people. I mostly spoke to the brother as he is the one that speaks English, but he won't always be around.

He wasn't around at all last night, and I spent most of the time with the women, watching Madame Ndaw sew (she's a seamstress) with her fellow seamstress people and walking around with one of the women. I really need to remember everyone's name.

Then the power shut off and I realized how different it is when the power is off and there is no generator. Candles provided a soft glow of light throughout the various rooms, and I watched the children mischievously play in the tips of the flames while they completed the homework by candle light.

The lights did not come back on before dinner so we ate in the dark. "Mange! Mange!" (Eat, Eat.) They encouraged even though I was full. I have a hard time telling people in English that I do not want anymore so you can imagine how it was in Wolof/French--there was nothing else I could do but eat even though I was full.

Eventually the lights came back on and the children scrambled in a race to blow out the candles. Then we sat around the living room talking and laughing. I learned several new words.

Kay tok fee-- Come sit down.
Lek gue be soure--Did you eat enough?
Lek nabesoure. Tog bi nekhna. I ate enough. It was delicious.

And finally, Mague dem nelow. Basouba. I am going to sleep. Good night.

After getting ready for bed in the bathroom, I noticed a plate of apples and pears by my bed. It was the sweetest thing everrrrr I love my new family! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm Here! my family is pretty cool. they've been teaching me some wolof also. "Soudnen" (?) i learned is i've had enough. once i get settled enough we should meet up. I'm still a little scared to take taxis. There's so much to get used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww the apples and pears is sweet :) I hope you're still enjoying your host family!

    ReplyDelete