Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Last Days of Ramadan

It's here, it's finally here!

The last days of Ramadan. I thought this time would never come. It feels so...bittersweet. There's a sense of accomplishment that I have made is so far in fasting (Well I did cheat a few days) and a sense of excitement. Not only will I be able to eat and drink when I want (whoo!!!) and there will be so many more available activites. People tend not to go out as much during Ramadan because everyone must be on their best behaviours. Some restaurants and other businesses even close for a month in recognition of the month. In addition if they were like me, they were so hungry during the day they conserved their energy by sleeping and sitting around the house. It's hot outside and the last thing one wants to do is break fast because they unnecessarily exerted themselves to much.

I was participating in Ramadan to fully immerse myself in the Senegalese experience. But now that it's over, I find that as a Christian Ramadan has given me the confidence to do my own spirtual fasting for a long period of time. In fact I plan to do one for a week sometime soon.

Because Ramadan is dependent on the lunar calender, it ends depending on when the moon can be seen. Tonight everyone will look outside and if a credible person says they see the moon then the fast is over. If not, the fast will last for one more day.

Then it's Kourite. We celebrate the end of Ramadan. It's like Easter they tell me, except that we're not celebrating the ressurrection of Jesus...so perhaps maybe not so much like Easter. Either way I will find out soon. Hopefully, the moon will reveal itself tonight.

1 comment:

  1. haha it's like Easter, but without the Jesus. well have your own Easter with Jesus : )love ya

    ReplyDelete